Thursday, December 14, 2006

divorced

Well folks, today was the big day. We sat outside the courtroom in the special divorcing-lepper's quarantine area, and stepped into a room completely filled with desk. A giant old woman sat on a throne at the top. "Wait until we call your case, just stand there by the wall." We stood. We swore. We stated our names. We sat at very tiny desk beneath throne. Thirty seconds later we were leaving, scibbling our initials on the papers and handing them to the bailiff. "We'll stamp and process these today and you'll get your copies in the mail." And so we are divorced.

We walked around the mall numbly for a bit before heading back over the mountain for lunch. Mike sulked. I drank. He said, "I feel like when you're trying to win a prize and you write the right answer and then erase it and write something else and you were right the first time." I said, "Yeah, 'fucking strangers' was the wrong answer."

I made him take a picture to mark the day.



Mike: Are we supposed to be smiling?
me: oh hell yes

3 comments:

  1. And thus, our heroine finally started her real life.. Pantless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the gods intended.

    The neighbors only saw me for a minute when I checked the mail! No reports filed.

    ReplyDelete