Gavin and I wrapped a present for his teacher this morning. I held the paper while he cut, handed him tape while he fastened, peeled the paper from a bow and he stuck it on. He signed "G" on the label. "He's the 'Big G'!" I said to my mom, holding it up for admiration while he put his hands on his hips and grinned. He's awesome. Of course, I still watch his hands closely when he does anything artsy, looking for future promise, wondering if he'll succeed where I fell short. His scribbles look the same as all his classmates' on the wall, with only one big difference that gives me hope; in a sea of staring blank holes, his figures are the only ones with pupils.
Yesterday I narrowly avoided broadsiding a parked car when I rounded the corner and saw all the new firemen at the training station lined up in uniform and marching down the courtyard. Today I anticipated this and slowed to a crawl to see what they were doing, but was again disappointed to see that they had not set fire to anything. I have been waiting an entire year to see that training center set on fire like the "LIVE FIRE TRAINING!" sign promises. Perhaps they are referring to the firemen being alive while trained. Or they are training the fire to not burn down stuff. My lunch companion (Mr. Squashy) and I had squinted up at the building and spotted what appeared to be a hammock at the top. Hmm. Firemen are mysterious.
Get him to draw a house with a chimney. (do you have those in HI?)They say kids who draw the chimney vertically instead of diagonally are artsy.
ReplyDeleteDang. He drew a race car instead.
ReplyDelete