Saturday, December 16, 2006

Men in tights

picture post


Friday, last day of school for the kids. I put on a festive red sweater. Turtlenecks are kind of scary, and I discovered I had been transformed into Angry Librarian Action Figure.



Don't make me scan your barcodes.




I arrived at school with my purse and no lunch. I left with 5 lbs of candy and cookies dumped on me by nauseous teachers. That, and my Secret Santa left a package for me in the office; the book shopgirl and a Borders gift card. The note was signed "Tall Dude", which could have been any man in the school except the sweet tiny old janitor. But after school a handsome face popped in with a nod and wave, and I realized that the Secret Santa committee had paired me with the only age-appropriate single man in the school. Oh no. Too soon, folks.


On the drive home, Gavin was chattering happily about his preschool holiday breakfast, having spent the day with his dad. Mike evidently was dogpiled by 3 year olds all morning after eating pancakes with the church folk. The family put on formal-wear and we hit downtown Honolulu for sticky rice and the Nutcracker. At the Blaisdell center, Gavin chased girls in cupcake dresses while we ordered drinks. The double rum-and coke turned out to be a cup of liquid hangover, so I pushed it at Mike. At curtain call, Mike slumped groggily into his seat, Gavin and Chris strutted up and down the stairs in their suits, and my mom whispered to my aunt about the divorce while I waved from my seat. Aside from the nice people behind us whistling along and tickling their children during the performance, it was a beautiful ballet and Gavin made it 10 minutes longer into the second act this year before falling asleep on my lap.

Everyone pose with the birthday boy. NOW.







No comments:

Post a Comment