SO. What I've decided, internet, is that I need an inspirational challenge. And what I need to produce is artwork, because I'm getting old as balls, probably, and all I have to show for my life's body of work are manically cheerful dinosaurs and portraits of lettuce leaves. So. One finished drawing a week. Not one a day, because then I'd just be scribbling out doodles of my stapler to get it done, but something a bit nicer that takes a bit of thought and preparation to finish.
Week 1: Pepper the Pissed Off Bulbul. She tries to take my eyes out every time I visit my mother, and this is her eff-you face, with her crown up.
Next I will be working on my Dropped Cats series. I am just warming up with pets. AM NOT A PET PORTRAIT ARTIST. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Except that it's super terrible. Call them animal studies.

That's good, Holly! The attitude is all in the eye. How long did it take you to do that? It seems to trail off in just the right way, at the edges. Just showed it to the spouse, who also admires. Off to google bulbul ...
ReplyDeleteThanks! That one is postcard-sized, so it only took a couple of hours. I'm going larger with the next one.
ReplyDeleteBulbuls are kind of garbage birds around here - they eat everything, talk a lot, hang everywhere. We kind of take them for granted, like mynahs and chickens, but I guess they're a tropical bird that has taken over the pacific and Eastern Asia. I was never particularly into birds, but since my mother started rehabbing them I have started differentiating between them and hearing their different voices. Draw what you've got, right? And I've got birds and birds and birds.