I ordered a car seat pad with a gift card someone got us, then found out we already had one in a bag of baby clothes someone else gave us. And it's only poofy on the sides, not under the back and butt, which is stoooopid.
So I made my own.
First, I got into my stash and found big enough pieces of fabric for front and back.
Then I traced the poofy pad onto fabric with a washable marker. If someone wanted to do this without a poofy pad, they could probably trace their baby like a big gingerbread man.
Then I remembered about ironing. Probably, it would be best to iron before tracing.
Then I cut the thing out with half an inch sewing allowance, one layer at a time so I didn't screw up all my fabric on the first go.
Then I cut two layers of batting.
The baby made sleepy murmurs on the monitor. HURRY.
Layered up for the inside-out no-binding method; batting, top fabric facing up, back fabric facing down.
It feels like it should be wrong in that order, but I pinned it like that anyway. Sewed all the layers together, leaving a 4-inch gap at the end, for turning it inside out.
Stuff it inside itself and birth it through the opening hole. I started with the legs.
RAWR. EXPLETIVES. The man took it away from me and did it in about three seconds.
Fine. Show off. I stitched the opening shut, and DONE.
"Beautiful!" said the man, "Except it looks like she has her period."
Damn it.
I may add some hand quilting, but it's fine on its own.
Add baby, and -
Hang on.
She liiiiikes it!
Feeling very accomplished now.











Verra nice!
ReplyDeleteha great job!!! I am 33 weeks and some odd days with #3 and I have to pick my car seat yet (yeah I know but this one was a boy so we had to start all over after two girls!) I will have to make one of these guys to go in the car seat :)
ReplyDelete