Po has been under quarantine until her surgery on Wednesday. I let her out for some supervised exercise yesterday morning, and she waited until Gavin and I had gotten our boots stuck in the mud, then ran into the bushes. Hercules came out to help me look for her, climbing up the backs of my legs and dangling from my butt by his claws while I paced the yard. Finally I decided to lure her back to the house with food, and my mother ended up getting her after finding me in the kitchen eating mini quiches (cat's natural prey).
We attended the grand opening of the new bookmobile. The Chinese lion was getting tired of dancing by the time we arrived, but Gavin found the courage to approach the bobbing, panting creature and ram a dollar down its throat. When the sweating children beneath the costume limped back into the shade, a Hawaiian priest flicked water at the bookmobile in blessing, then, in an act of thorough dedication, had them cut the ribbon and went inside to bless the books, which made all the librarians in the audience bite their knuckles. As the crowd bunched into the bookmobile, we found ourselves in the awkward position of being the only people standing around on the lawn with children, and the library had been very proud to round up a local celebrity for storytime.
We attended the grand opening of the new bookmobile. The Chinese lion was getting tired of dancing by the time we arrived, but Gavin found the courage to approach the bobbing, panting creature and ram a dollar down its throat. When the sweating children beneath the costume limped back into the shade, a Hawaiian priest flicked water at the bookmobile in blessing, then, in an act of thorough dedication, had them cut the ribbon and went inside to bless the books, which made all the librarians in the audience bite their knuckles. As the crowd bunched into the bookmobile, we found ourselves in the awkward position of being the only people standing around on the lawn with children, and the library had been very proud to round up a local celebrity for storytime.
This guy.
![]() |
| Wally, maker of Famous Amos cookies |
So we had to stay and listen. He was very enthusiastic (and his cookies are great), but Wally isn't a very good orator. My mom and I wanted to yank away his books and read them our way, while the other adults applauded every time he winked at them. I'm going to start bribing my audience with cookies, too.
Tomorrow
I'm going to be gone for a week. First, Bakersfield, California, to see how it feels and maybe sign some paperwork. Returning Wednesday, I hug my baby for one night and then hop back on a plane to Seattle. My RMC friends are going to take me in and show me around, so I'm not alone at some hotel bar crying into my beer. I will be able to talk with my fellow mothers, sleep with snakes in the guest room, and go to the conference in my wookie coat. Also claim my free cat calendar at booth #1221.

No comments:
Post a Comment