Man, I’m terrible at making friends, I need to step up my game, I thought as I settled into bed. I picked up my kindle to read a Jess Lourey short story and the first page I flipped to had suggestions for me. Synchronicity!
Did I break the ice with miraculous mayonnaise anecdotes this morning? No, I did not. And that is why I went to all my sessions and then walked to the harbor by myself in the evening. I was going to latch on to whatever group was walking somewhere, but they all evaporated at the stroke of 5pm. How did 2,000 people vanish inside the 2 minutes it took me to put on my coat and gloves? It’s one of those mysteries of nature.
The harbor was closed. All the fancy restaurants were shut down. I stared sadly into the dark lobster roll shack, then ran back 3 blocks and had another meal at the sad crab cake place by my hotel. This time I got a flight of local beers and the salmon, which was much better than the wet crabby patty they gave me last time.
Wow, very boat. Much historic.
Nobody will attend a session when there are free cookies in the exhibition hall.
How to handle challenges/protests/violence in response to programs at the library.
What to do as a library when a natural disaster wipes out your community.
New librarians think “all conflict comes from miscommunication” and that active listening can fix anything, because they don’t know about people who poop on the floor yet.
Telling new librarians about people who poop on the floor won’t get you a dinner invitation.
I got back to my room, took a hot shower, stood huffing steam for a long time until my nose and lips rehydrated, and I am ready to watch True Detective and go to sleep buried under all 6 pillows from both beds. The heater is loud.
One more full day and night to go.





No comments:
Post a Comment