Saturday, August 13, 2022

time is a wheel

When I was 14, I shared a traumatic event with a boy who was drowning. His trauma was that he drowned. Mine was that I pulled him out of the water and dropped his head on the concrete a little bit before the EMTs resuscitated him. We have stayed loosely in touch for the rest of our lives since then, without ever actually talking about it.

Last night, I took the family to see that boy perform at the Bishop Museum. 

Kanoho spotted me in the audience and said, “Holly! This girl here saved my life when I was thirteen!”  And he told the whole story. “Sorry to say I did it again a few years later in the ocean.” Kanoho! Your family is going to make you wear arm floaties.

I feel proud of the talented, good person he grew up to be, as if I had any hand in that other than smacking his head off the pool deck when we were kids. I'm glad he's alive. And I'm glad he's not a super villain I now need to destroy.

The kids are glad I splashed out for a yearly family membership to the museum, so we can go any time and bring guests for free. There will be a lot more evenings listening to music under the stars at the museum, and so much inspiration for painting. Solid spending decision.

Each tiny butterfly was a marvel

Never not impressed by the life-sized whale poised to crush all the museum-goers

The special exhibit, Taxonomy, with so many cool dead things 

This moving air wall has been up since I was a kid, and it’s still fantastic

BLACK LIGHT

Petition to make buildings like this again please 

What does it meeeeean?

POW! WOW! street mural is still up on part of the building 


In other news, my tickets to Chattanooga are booked, my hotel is haunted, and I’m all set to go on a librarian adventure in 4 weeks. Feeling good about things, which is a feeling I distrust. Wish for the best, but shop for personal self-defense accessories, as Napoleon said.

1 comment:

  1. I sort of hope you're staying at the Read House in Chattanooga. I have stayed there before a long time ago. It was so lovely. My mother ate her first raw oyster there. I have a feeling that my father probably spent a lot of time in their bar.
    But, but, BUT! You saved that boy's life! Bless you. That is something. Don't kid yourself.

    ReplyDelete