My resolution to be aggressively supportive with the fitness stuff came to a head this Sunday, when I became the water/snacks/supplies pack horse at the Spartan Race, where Mike and Zenny were both competing.
From Kualoa Ranch, we boarded a fleet of trolleys shutting athletes up the valley to a city of tents filled with thumping music and vendors selling fruit, shave ice, baked potatoes, and turkey legs. The activity kiosks had chin up bars, rope climbing, and a deadlift challenge, just to try for fun between heats of the race. The man standing next to us at the kids’ race was proud to point out that #2 on the deadlift leaderboard was his 52 year-old mother, out-lifting a pack of marines. Right on.
Kualoa Ranch, Ka’a’awa
Steady roll of trolleys kept people from having to wait, well planned
Sports nerd city
The adult registration packet came with a warning of imminent death. (They try not to kill the children.)
It was this moment I remembered she had surgery only 3 months ago and panicked a little bit
Drag the tire up the hill, roll it back down
Jump the thing
She did not like this one because the net moved around while the other kids climbed
Afterwards I dumped a shave ice down her, and as she cooled down she said she wanted to do it again next year, but with strength training. Who’s child is this? I was just there for the potatoes.
proud dad
The potatoes were $20, but the girl was body-hungry and my snacks weren’t doing the job. Damned if it wasn’t the best fire-roasted potato we had ever tasted in our entire lives. She ate up every scrap of the crispy skin.
Looks terrible, tastes like heaven
Shots by the official event photographers
Cramp!
Fall off an obstacle and you have to do 30 burpees (worst kind of push-ups, should be illegal)
What garbage cans look like at a sports event
Post-race, about 45 seconds before his legs stopped working and dumped him on his ass
For my part, I finished the 6 week beginner program on Centr with weights/cardio, and just started the 6 week intermediate program. Stepped on the scale to check on my progress, and I have lost ZERO POUNDS. Goddamn it. But that is not to say there have been no results - arms and waist are smoothing out, and my butt is looking better after a million squats. I am rewarding myself for finishing the first program by buying those scrunchy workout pants that go up your crack and make it look like your butt cheeks are flapping free in the wind. Over the next 6 weeks they can go from comedy pants to TRIUMPHANT pants. And if that doesn't work out, I can threaten to wear them to parent/teacher conferences if my kids get bad grades.
Kitten tax!

















kittens I understand, shave ice, as well...Spartan kill yourself for no good reason, I do not but that's just me. Anyway well done y'all, especially potato buyer.
ReplyDeleteRight? I am not paying money to be killed by burpees. I peed myself a little just running to catch up with them at the trolley (thanks, childbirth). The only way I am running 10k through obstacles is if people are chasing me with guns. Call me old-fashioned.
ReplyDelete