Monday, June 11, 2018

studio renovation: building a shadow box

Now that I have another student painter in the studio with me, it seemed like a good time to build a still-life shadow box. TO THE YOUTUBES.


The whole project cost about $50, including paint and lighting. The man assembled it, and I painted. It took a couple hours, plus drying time.



In addition to the shadow box, I painted one wall atelier grey and attached a curtain rod to the ceiling for a portrait-sitting corner. It is very fancy. As fancy as a corner of a basement with a concrete wall and a chair stolen from my mother's house can be.


SYNCHRONICITY SIGHTINGS: Picking the wall and shadow box paint colors, I just walked through the paint chip aisle and plucked out the two swatches that best looked like studio greys, and the darker one, "Tempest's Teapot", seemed like some kind of cosmic sign. So I just went with them both. This was the third synchronicity of the week; two days earlier, I was listening to a Criminal podcast about the illegal trade in Venus Fly Traps, and arrived at the grocery store to find an enormous display of actual genuine goddamn Venus Fly Traps in the floral department. Since when does a grocery store in Hobo-ville Hawaii stock carnivorous plants? Since NEVER, that is when. The next morning, during a library lecture on ancient Hawaiian politics, I checked in a book and the computer popped up an alert that said "Waikiki" at the very moment the speaker said, "Waikiki". Was I supposed to buy the fly traps and bring them to Waikiki? In a teapot? At twilight? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? Nothing. But I noticed it, and that is called "mindful living" - which is different than "delusional thinking".

Anyway, I'm all set up now for properly precious and pretentious portrait painting. Please come visit me, folks, because my kids won't sit still and I can't paint my own self while sitting in the fancy chair.

Just some of the many poses you can consider holding for 5 hours solid

COMING SOON: I am looking into getting giclee prints made, which I'll be selling on an as-yet-to-be-made etsy shop or something. On my way to the print shop right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment