Wednesday, June 06, 2018

self portrait: check

I got a little bit precious with this thing because of a tube of gold paint that I've been itching to try. The background design was supposed to be a very subtle darker blue, barely noticeable. It's a bit less noticeable in person, because the gold shifts in the light. Heavy-handed symbolism annoys me, but I DID IT ANYWAY. Take that, self. 

I'll probably fix the necklace a bit, but I can live with this state of done-ness. I'll take better pictures later.

(There isn't really a black dot on my nose, that's the shadow of a blorb of paint in crappy basement lighting.)



2 comments:

  1. I liked your use of the word precious. Pretentiousness in art is difficult for me, too. Mostly because I was called out for it in college and I've never fully recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All college art students are pretentious! That is how we learn what not to do! Although that's hard to imagine with your stuff, it's so nicely grounded in pattern and texture and color. In college did a whole thesis on Edgar Allen Poe and weeping angels. Horrifying. And that was before the Tenth Doctor, so it wasn't even cool in that way.

    Maybe if I paint over the gold in just-slightly-darker blue, little winks of it will peek out and that will look more interesting.

    ReplyDelete