Thursday, April 19, 2018

Painting leather and getting mad at noses

A few weeks ago, I started painting husbandface. Somewhere in the process, I screwed up my lower proportions, and I think the only thing for it is to run the damn board through a circular saw and trim it down to a smaller head & shoulders portrait.

(The board was slightly tilted between these two shots, but you can see yesterday's progress on the jacket.)



Heartily, I say MEH.

Sat down with my moleskine and painted the teenager.



Picked up a "habits of painters who know more than you" book and realized that I am guilty of highlight-down-the-noseness, which is a newbie mistake. Even if you see it, it doesn't improve the painting to put it in. Highlights are fickle, ignore them.


So now I've got a pile of noses to paint over. Or ignore. Ignore, probably. I'm already drawing out the next painting, and it isn't anything on the list of paintings people have asked me to make. Have also been willfully neglecting the "draw me a tattoo" queue. Sorry, friends. I have to focus on painting the stuff that blows my skirt up right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment