Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Avocado

I have been mangling my attempts at portraiture, so I painted another piece of produce to reassure myself that I don't totally suck at this thing.

I call this one, "a millennial's mortgage payment". 


So that went well, and then Adam Rex told me I did a nice job, so I'm just going to put "produce portraiture" on my official CV now, because that is maybe the best thing that has happened ever and I think I have maybe peaked as an artist.



I'm going to try to crack this human-face-portraiture thing, though. I have decided to work through the academic techniques and figure out which one works best for me, so I've started a grisaille. This is where you paint the thing monochromatically and then glaze in the color after it has dried, and I am DEEPLY mistrustful of this process. Work through the ugly stage. The whole thing has been the ugly stage so far. Learning is the worst. Also it is a picture of myself, so I might be having a subject matter problem. I've got my Mondays back, though, so I have time to fix it - or stomp on it and throw it into the gulch.

No comments:

Post a Comment