Tuesday, May 17, 2016

the first to be eaten in the next ice age

It should be a relief to everyone, particularly people I make dinner for, that I have decided after careful and thoughtful and sort-of-devoted diligence that vegan diets are complete and utter bullshit. I was going to add, "for me", but no, I have Opinions on the Subject now. How fucking precious is it to base your entire philosophy of eating around foods that are unattainable in your geographic region? To be dependent on the industry of national food distributors for your very survival? Who lives in a fertile land resplendent in the natural growth of cashews, agave, maple, flax, soy, and coconuts? I live in goddamn grow-anything magical paradise coconut land and we do not have cashew or maple trees, because that is how nature works.

No. We have lasted this long because we learned to eat the things we could catch and bash and boil with our two clever hands. Vegans will not survive the first winter when the grid falls. Vegans and e-readers. Meat-eating bibliophiles will take over the wasteland.

So I'm trading in the veganism for lean protein. I'll keep the cookies and cakes, though, because sometimes you run out of eggs and milk before shopping day and still want to withhold a plate of cake from a kid who won't eat their noodles.


ANYWAY

I'm writing a novel, so Muu is going to be a bit slower in sharing his diary entries. And the revamped picture book is nearly done. Industry is the vanguard against existential dread, and I've been putting off making a doctor's appointment because my heart is doing that weird struggling thing again, like a hamster stuck in a sock, and the last two times I've gone in for it they haven't found anything wrong when they put a stethoscope under my shirt for 10 seconds, so I guess I'm waiting for... a cardiac arrest? I don't know? Also it's almost time to see if that 40% chance of developing cancer has decided which way it wants to go, and NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Frantic drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment