Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Further adventures of the terrible librarian detective

firstly, the garden

My gherkins are burgeoning. I planted cucumbers under the bedroom window, and they leaped up the trellis and attached to the window screen, which probably is not good for the screen but I don't have the heart to cut it down.

Tomato and runner bean seedlings went into the ground yesterday. The kids dug the holes, patted the little plants in, and watered them - which means it was a lot more work than it should have been, with skinned knees and fighting over watering cans and dropped plants, but they will only remember being soulful keepers of the earth later on, so that was $6 well spent.

anyone got a sniffer dog I can borrow?

Speaking of planted things - I have it on good authority (second hand) that someone found a fresh severed head buried in the valley nearby. Evidently, however, even though we give our library cops free coffee and totally listen to their gross stories when they show us gruesome pictures on their phones, they still won't just go digging around in some undefined area of wilderness for a hypothetical head without something more concrete to go on (like, say, the rest of the body). Co-worker and I are colluding to go hiking with a shovel, but we haven't decided if it's worth running into head-chopping murderers up there in secret-drug-growing territory. File another one under Failed Sleuthing, right next to "walked by a dead guy on the way to the gym and didn't notice". In my defense, that time someone wrapped up a pile of dead fish and ditched it in the library dumpster, I totally got in there and ripped it open to see if it was a person. It wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment