Monday, February 08, 2016

What I've been doing


I tore up a bunch of boxes and taped them together into a little model house, guided by a stack of make-your-own-dollhouse and cottages-in-California books. Then I sat and drew it, and inked it, and stuck (battery-operated) candles inside it to light it. This is the under-drawing.

I had been going loose and cartooney with the rest of the illustrations, but I liked this so well I've had to go back and add more pencil detail to them. I will re-work them until they are dead, and that will be an important lesson. Or they will be great, and that will be an important lesson.

LENT APPROACHES.  I'm giving up staff room snacks and sugars and thick fatty beers. The usual. Fine. The kids are very excited to choke on quarters in their pancakes this Tuesday, so that makes it worthwhile.

In other news, IT IS FUCKING FREEZING. Maybe if it were actually freezing, I could trot outside with a parka and make love-eyes at the snowy trees and it would be fine, but in the middle of the pacific - no. We have no warm clothes and no heating and no proper windows, and I woke up with Zenny cramming her shivering body under my armpit. All the thin blankets in the house were piled on all the beds and they were doing nothing to keep the arctic blast of 50 degree wind from cutting through our pajamas. UNACCEPTABLE. So we put on layers and went to the thrift store to load up on oh-shit-we've-moved-to-the-tropics military discards. Heavy blankets, footie pajamas, jackets with plush linings, a hoodie with panda ears and a front pocket big enough to carry a cat in. The kids are so pleased with the invention of fleece. They have everything on. With no shirts on underneath, because "it's soooo soft", but that is Hawaii for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment