Sunday, February 28, 2016

Cilantroooo

Took a break from book illustrations to knock out another produce portrait for my kitchen wall. Our local market sells cilantro in giant two-hand bunches with the roots still attached, and I peeled one of the murdered little plants off of the bunch and asked it to pose. It went limp. I stuck it in dirt afterwards, where it died. It is not happy cilantro. But artists don't ask that their models stay alive, just that they stay still.



I painted masking fluid onto the roots. This is basically just thin rubber cement, and it's hard to paint with because it's invisible, but it is the greatest thing ever. It is a skill worth cultivating. I'm going to make whole paintings out of masking fluid and earn more points for Slytherin, because that is some dark magic.


Not sure I like seeing the pen work, but it doesn't bother me enough to ruin it with darker paint.


Framed! With bonus reflection of my neck.


Next: mint.

Probably. While I was driving home yesterday, I had an epiphany about tying illustration reference with home decorating and gardening, and walked in yelling, "I NEED A BONSAI." Or eight. A big shelf of bonsai. I need so many bonsai.

Off to google bonsai pruning.

No comments:

Post a Comment