Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas, the unwrappening

Tippity-typing on my phone, so the basics were this:

4:50am. Gavin couldn't take it anymore and burst into the room exclaiming, "IT'S BEAUTIFUL." We wished him a merry Christmas with groans and weeping noises.

The best kid-present of the day turned out to be a free app. Santa left a little robot thing that came with a link to a stopmotion animation program for iPhone, and everyone spent the rest of the day filming their toys having misadventures. Unexpected. Best present for myselfs was an Anthropologie rolling pin with little squirrels and bunnies painted on. I bashed out some crust for the meat pie and felt so damn fancy.

Neighbors had an alarming crowded screaming block party in our driveway, and we decided to have future magical twinkly little family dinners at my mom's house. She had spent the night with the new kitten, and was happy to pack up everything, steal Gavin for a sleepover, and flee back home after we set the pudding on fire.

So we fell asleep at 8:30pm while chucking the little kids in bed, because this all happened with a gross chest cold, and we were wiped out.

Today! Boxing Day! Robitussin! Candy! More Star Wars!

Doing this thing. 

Edited to add captions:

Cat log

Aunt and mother, making fun of bad cookbook indexing. The title was "Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes", and all the recipes started with "Electric Pressure Cooker", and were listed in alphabetical order, under "E". There were no other letters.  


My mother caught her fleeting moment of genuine holiday feeling on Christmas Eve by the tree. I have determined that holiday cheer is contingent on sitting around while other people work, because I didn't catch mine until Boxing Day, when she made enchiladas and I knitted on the couch with a cup of rummy eggnog.

4:50am is NOT 5:00am, CHILDREN.

Cat roll

The mess. I have stopped being charmed by the mess.

Someone gave me an entire corpse to hang around my neck.

Brothering


Stop motion animating 

Plum pudding ignition. It was a bit less dramatic this year, because we ran out of Braddah Kimo's rum-what-lights-the-roof-on-fire. We used Bacardi 151 instead, and mehhh.


We did it! Christmas achieved.

4 comments:

  1. I commented tipsy on this last night, but upon review it seemed to say only KITTEN KITTEN KITTEN KITTEN, so I thought better and deleted. Today is another, more dignified day, and upon reflection I would like merely to observe: KITTEN! Also: CUUUUTE! :)

    PS That is my main cooking expertise (setting things on fire) but somehow it's not as picturesque when I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! The kitten! I mentioned on facebook but not here - my mother took the kids down to the humane society and took advantage of their $12 adoption special (on the heels of telling people not to buy pets as presents, but WHATEVER) and they found a little tabby named Stella. She is a smart, sweet little creature. I'm really surprised Gavin didn't come home with his pockets stuffed full of hamsters and rats and puppies.

    My year revolves around setting that pudding on fire. This year it was too early in the evening, we were too sick to be properly tipsy, and the rum was weak. Next year will be a CONFLAGRATION, I swear it. Maybe we can do a flaming spotted dick on New Year's, just to start things off right. AMIRITE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you folks set on fire for the holidays this year? It is always inspiring to know how other people feast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hurr, I just noticed that I did actually mention the kitten before this post. But I am on cold medicine, so I DO WHAT I WANT.

    ReplyDelete