The mouse got into my co-worker's gourmet chocolate bar, and that was the last straw. She tossed the candy out and stalked off to find the glue traps. I skidded over to the garbage, fished out the chocolate, snapped off a piece for bait, and put the trap on the floor next to the door. If this mouse was going to have any chance, it was going to have to be caught with its face full. As I sat down at the computer to look up mouse-in-glue-trap rescue tips, someone hollered, "HE'S IN THERE." Leaped back into the room - "Nope, he's gone already." WHAT. I put more chocolate in the trap, set it back down in exactly the same spot, and we all stared at it. One of our patrons came over to see what we were peering at, and suggested letting corn snakes loose in the library. Within 30 seconds, a whiskery nose snuffled around the little ramp. I snatched up the cage and ran. Everyone ran after us. We stampeded outside, and made it halfway across the driveway before the mouse made a flying leap out of the trap and shot into the bushes. We turned as a flock and stuffed back inside and slammed the door shut.
VICTORY.
I think there is a lot to be said for library snakes, though.
Oh, that's just wrong, mousie, eating the chocolate! What a bold little guy.
ReplyDeleteMy 12 year-old was adamant that we keep this one as a pet, as it is clearly a genius among mice. Unfortunately, it also had the power of flight, and I am bad at catching airborne rodents.
ReplyDelete