Friday, October 07, 2005

the sickness

A couple nights ago I came home late to find Gavin watching tv while my mother chatted with a neighbor. He was zoned out in front of America's Next Top Model, which, although mentally appropriate for 2 year olds, would not be my first pick for him. "And America's Next Top Model is..." I flipped the channel. Gavin sat bolt upright, his eyes wide with alarm, "No mom! I watch! Give me back remote!" and he punched it back to VH1 and slumped back onto the pillows as the quivering girl sobbed off her mascara. Huh.

My sniffle crawled into my lungs. My mother, unwilling to surrender the couch to her sick daughter, pulled out the couch bed and piled it up with pillows and blankets. This was the first time since my wedding that we had touched the thing, and the musty old sheets sent particles of dust up my nose as I sunk into the springs to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas with the family. The dust did nothing good for my chest cold, so I knocked back a couple Tylenol PMs and crashed like a log in my own bed for the rest of the night. I need sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Friend - I know, he made me borrow that pink album and asks if I've watched the DVD portion of it every time I call.

    ;)

    so did you know I was going to name my hypothetical daughter 'Zoe' if he was a girl, or is that just a wild co-inkidink? 8-o

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, funny story there:

    doctor: it's a boy!

    me: a BOY!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other good Morrissey-related names for dogs...or cats...or any other pet (dead or alive, human or not...):

    -Dallow
    -Spicer
    -Pinkie
    -Cubitt
    (every jammy Stretford poet...)
    -Billy Budd
    -Mr. Shankly

    ..."Morose"... ha. I like that.

    ReplyDelete