Sunday, October 09, 2005

Blue Turk

I couldn't get the shower hot enough to shake the chill I was feeling today. Just stood under the steaming water with goose bumps and stared at the tiles. My nice jeans hang loose and crappy now. I pulled on a Led Zeppelin shirt and decided not to try for the sexy librarian look today. Technically speaking, I'm not supposed to operate a vehicle when sedated, but I popped my medicine and started up the car anyway with a roar of Alice Cooper on the stereo. My mother came out waving the phone, so I killed the engine and went inside to chat with Mike for a couple minutes. He's in the city today with his friends. No time for details, we said we loved each other and I headed out to work.

I sang along, focused vaguely on the pavement spinning toward me.

I'm covered in blood,
Like a rat on the sewer floor.


I thought about throwing out my lunch as I waited for Yuri to let me in to the library, but I ate it anyway and humored the Xerox Hobo with chit-chat about clock repair. Yuri let me in and handed me her keys on a string, which activated my dormant latch-key kid skills. Man, I'm such a bad-ass, I thought as I whirled the keys like a ninja. My shoe caught on my baggy pant leg and I fell down the stairs.

As I flipped on the lights, illuminating the long dark musty shelves of journals, I pulled off a few volumes of Nuclear Devices and Theory, 1959 and discovered that we have all the information needed to end the world right at our fingertips. In some form of strange coded language called math. The world is safe from me, at least.

12 comments:

  1. "The world is safe from me for another day."

    Um...not quite. You still have the drive home. :+]

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh heh, how did you do that?

    yes, I'm totally going to be one of those old ladies who drives 15 miles an hour. Starting today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we missed the deadline to get a room for the conference. Yuri and I might be planning a trip to Las Vegas.

    Now you can start worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, yes, I am not a fragile blossom, alas. I get moody as hell but I'm a tough nut. If anything you should worry about me running over boy scouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. [marie snickering oh-so-quietly in the corner...]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hobo copy man lives in the grave yard near my home. He's nice, but he's no Mike. Mike, oh Mike. 7 days?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do any of you know the hobo guy that has long greyish hair and looks like a chubby hippie Jesus? He has a cute tubby tummy. I think he hangs out in Hamilton, though, and spends most of his days looking at microfilm. Ever since my freshman year I've been curious about him and wanted to write about him... I see him everywhere, even when I'm outside of UH! I often wonder what's the story behind his life...

    ReplyDelete
  8. well... I just thought about it... maybe he doesn't look like Jesus. A more endearing, chubby Charles Manson maybe?... I don't know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know who you mean. He smells like last week's rice but he's a nice guy. I've had numerous encounters with him in the microfilm room. I once imagined that he was working on the great American novel or researching what would become the revisionist work of the century on some political scandal. Then one day I sneaked a peek at one of the many $1 black and white Mead composition notebooks he carries to find it filled with...b/w clippings of 1950s lingerie ads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's cool that you got that close to see what he's been looking at. I've never gotten that close. In my undergrad years, I remember walking from my dorm early in the morning, passing by Hamilton and seeing him sitting outside eagerly waiting for the Library to open... That fascinated me. Another day he slyly smiled at me while he passed me at the bus stop like he knew me or something. Or maybe it was just a smarmy, dirty smile... I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holly, MANY APOLOGIES for using your comments as a forum. Got carried away talking about hobos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way, I love talking about hobos. Anyway, that's the Xerox Hobo I was mentioning. He likes to staple things, too. Don't mess with the stapler! And btw, all the clocks are one hour slow.

    Aw, they're like pets! If only we could litter train them.

    ReplyDelete