It became clear recently that I need to go to Hawaii this summer to see my son, help my mother move, get my cat, and bring Zenny back from visitation. The nightmares started again.
To keep away from those thoughts, I put on audiobooks in the evenings and cut stencils out of wax paper with a utility knife, using them to paint designs on the walls of the shed. It looks like amateur crafts, because it is, but I like it anyway. Once I get some baseboards nailed down and a rug on the floor, the room might finally feel ready to use. It still smells like tobacco and night jitters, even after all the painting and cleaning. Smells are sticky. I’m going to carry the toaster oven over on the weekends and stick brownies and scones to the walls, instead. I’ll plug in the slow cooker and paint the ceiling with green curry and shoyu chicken. The ghost of Himself is going to have to get used to it, and stop smoking in my damn studio.
Department of Teen Engagement:
Zenny picked a dinner recipe, and we went to the store for ingredients to make calzones. I mangled the dough into discs, she stuffed them. On Sunday we came across a recipe for Future Brownies online, and went on a quest to find mochi flour. FAIL. There is no mochiko in all the Boot. Sent the recipe to Leif, and they got to eat them, instead. Goddamn it.
We are going to make regular brownies tonight.
What I’ve been reading:
6 Wakes, by Mur Lafferty. 5 clones on a deep space mission wake up with no memories, surrounded by their own dead bodies. One of them is the murderer.
I Was A Teenage Slasher, by Stephen Graham Jones. A teenager loses his father in a gruesome accident, and a year later gets drunk at a high school party where everything goes horrifically wrong, activating a curse that brings the rules of every teen slasher film to life - and now he’s the killer.
Dungeon Crawler Carl, by Matt Dinniman. I don’t even know what this is about yet, I’ve just started it after seeing it recommended several times. Edit: I have no idea why this was recommended as a wildly funny and weird story. It’s just litRPG - a game walkthrough. It’s like watching a 20 year old streamer play a video game. The “weirdness” is just video game humor, the characters are overwhelmingly male and stupidly violent, the female characters are bitches or pathetic losers. His cat co-player is a prissy bitch, the ex he reminisces about is a cheating bitch, the neighbor who yells at him is an old bitch, the women they encounter in the game are pathetic/gross/homeless or dead. I predict he will encounter his ex closer to the end of the game, she’ll be a manic pixie dream bitch, and the cat will win the game. I’m not finishing this thing. Listening to any comedy improv DnD podcast is better than this.
Angel Down, by Daniel Kraus. I don’t know anything about this one either, except that it’s horror and just won the Pulitzer. It’s got to be better than Carl.







The thought of you returning to hawaii makes my stomach turn -my heart goes into a minor attack. You will be fine, of course, because you are, but I do get the ICK from the thought.
ReplyDeleteThank you for picking up trash! Seems everyone but the trash tossers do that here. Nice community overall. I do love where you are living right now. I love your stencils - sometimes vinegar boiled slowly on the stove absorbs nasty odors, not sure if it would work for ghost smoke - maybe worth a try. Not my favorite thing to do but the harsh, pungent vinegar fumes dissipate quickly. You probably have tried this already- Stubborn ghost smoke may need a stronger exorcism .
I haven’t tried vinegar, never gotten the hang of that as a cleaner, the smell keeps making me think I’m doing it wrong. Maybe I’ll put boxes of baking soda all over the room.
DeleteThis reminded me of something yfrom long ago. I have a strip of blue watercolor panels that your mother painted during one of your summers in Bloomington when you were a toddler. She was taking classes at IU , so the two of you were staying in campus housing. The light coming through the window above the door was bothersome, so she painted her own paper shade.
ReplyDeleteThe Cockroach Apartment! We had a mattress on the floor and I asked her why the cockroaches didn’t crawl on us while we were sleeping. “Oh, they probably do,” she said. THANKS MOM. To this day I wake up if my mouth fall open in my sleep, because… they probably do.
DeleteHi Holly, I use aquarium charcoal, purchased from che.wy, to absorb odors; just pour some into a saucer. Also, suck a teaspoon or so into the vacuum and your vacuum air smells much better. If you wanted to get crafty, you could sew charcoal into sachets or pour into socks that have lost its mate, tying off the top. Supposedly, you can refresh the charcoal by sticking out in the sunlight for a few hours. I’ve always wondered if the charcoal you can purchase for grilling would work as well as aquarium charcoal-maybe the non briquet ones would but not the briquets as those use a binder to form their shape.
ReplyDeleteI love your writing voice.
what a good recommendation! I used to buy charcoal shoe inserts from the Japanese market and they did work especially for wool shoes. .
DeleteLove your stenciled walls. They remind me of Malaysian/colonial prints. Maybe try boiling mulled cider on the stove - the old real estate open house trick. Your writing about your walk on the old ATV trails sounds like a scene out of a murder mystery. Hope that Zenny is treating you well. You are giving her some good projects. x0x0 N2
ReplyDelete