We made it in at 3:30am. Two flights arrived at the same time because of the delays, and the line for taxis was so long the curb attendant was losing his nut.
“EH BUDDY THERE’S A LINE, YOU SEES IT? GET IN THE LINE.”
We had 5 suitcases and the cabbie who pulled up in a little sedan didn’t think he could fit them all in, waffling around until the attendant stomped over and waved his clipboard. “ITS A CAR, INNIT? IT GETS A BACK SEAT AND ALL, PILE THEM UP AND GET THE DAMN THINGS IN ALREADY.” He did.
He’s my new hero. As we drove into St John’s, I told Zenny I was going to get a clipboard and scream at everyone who acts like they can’t use the copier machine at the library.
We slept like logs until noon. Zenny was slow to get up, so I put on my coat and walked over to Sobeys to get tea and breakfast things. Tiny prickly snow whipped into my face, which I didn’t mind too much, but my handsome Sherlock coat is the kind of coat you wear while strolling a city, not stomping around in snow banks, so we took a ride to the mall and I got a proper waterproof one with a furry hood.
Laurie picked us up, and her husband cooked dinner (he’s from Reunion Island, off Madagascar, and the food is a lot like the Pacific Islands, except with a more spicy Indian influence, it’s really good) while we sat and talked and her mother told stories about my mom. My mother worked at their family’s restaurant through college, and the two moms traded babysitting, which is how Laurie and I became close friends. After trying to kill each other over My Little Ponies and Lady Lovely Locks hair extensions, of course. Fiery friendships last the longest sometimes.
We are on a goose chase, from auto dealership to DMV to insurance office and back to auto dealership, trying to button everything up legally so I can drive to Burin, get a mailing address, open a bank account, and register the girl for school. I’m not even stressed about it anymore, it’s just a ride, I have all the time in the world now. And there isn’t even snow on the road! It’s pissing down freezing rain. I’m getting to know all the uber drivers in the area, and I’m a good tipper, so we’re all best friends now.
You know what I am going to do for new year’s? Sleep without my house exploding and my tree getting set on fire by the neighbor’s aerial fireworks. I said I was going to figure out how to get away from the noise, and I fucking well left the country to do it. I win.



I knew you could do it.
ReplyDeleteDamnit...blogger is acting odd and won't let me comment on your most recent post, so here I am a day earlier. You've done it! So happy and proud of this bold move. I remember my marriage therapist doing approximately what Mary's did. She actually said in front of him and directly to me...."He will desperately want back into this marriage about six months from now." He will beg, borrow, and manipulate to get back in your good graces." "Do NOT look over your shoulder. Move forward and dismiss him from your life" She was spot on, and I followed her advice. You're going to be fabulous and thrive. Wishing you a peaceful and happy New Year.
ReplyDelete