Well, I started the landscape. The first sketches and rough blocks of color went ok, then I took a break to work on some flowers. For about 6 hours.
Also I submitted a couple pieces to a show next month. There are modest cash prizes, but the judge is a recent art school grad and I’m not sure how fresh baby artists feel about realism these days. Here’s hoping our boy likes flowers.
Summer reading is underway and our first big program is today. I am not a natural event coordinator, it feels like when you're a kid and see the nurse coming with the big needle. I am putting chocolate in my purse so I can hide in the media cupboard and nibble it like a quivering rat when the shit hits the fan. I'm making a Library Program Bingo card:
Are we still doing a craft? (This is a free 1-hour performance with beatboxing lessons, so NO. But yes, because I have a stash of extra crafts for complainers.)
Is storytime after this? (This is a special storytime with someone rapping Dr. Seuss, so NO.)
Can you ask the kids to be quiet? I'm working. (There have been signs up for 2 weeks, and I booked this for the normal noisy kid hour in order to avoid extra disruptions, so NO. Feck off.)
The sound system broke (PANIC)
Update:
Handed out crafts. Old lady complained about the noise. His sound system was stolen from his car and he didn't realize it until he pulled up and popped the trunk, so we had to scramble to find the library's speakers and cords. The mic was broken, but it was okay because he was loud enough to handle it. I ate all the chocolate like I was stuffing my cheeks with acorns.
1 program down, 24 to go.




I love the hibiscus painting.Hope it wins a prize. You make me feel nostalgic for holiday story times at the library although ours weren't so ambitious, stories, a craft to make, or at Easter an Easter egg hunt, or sometimes a magician hired for the occasion.
ReplyDeleteJust yesterday I thought, "I wonder how Holly is." And here you are, surviving and painting flowers like no one else in the world. I'm glad.
ReplyDelete