Saturday, April 26, 2025

Day 3: Stonehaven and Dunnottar Castle

I bought an entire pharmacy of anti-sinusitis drugs, nasal spray, and vitamin C lozenges at Boots before we grabbed steak pies and hopped on the bus to Stonehaven. The cold wind makes noses run like faucets, but it’s not going to take us down that easily.

Stonehaven is a beautiful bayside village. We had three sites to find along a 2-mile stretch, and we found them all:

 A Stormy Day, John Muirhead (1864-1927)



Stonehaven Harbor, William Arthur Laurie Carrick (1879-1964)



Dunnottar Castle, George Reid (1841-1913)



It was beautiful. The coastal path led up from Stonehaven, over hillsides covered with sheep and cows, along a cliff, and all the way up to the ruins. I sat in the grass and sketched the view, then we climbed the stairs to explore the castle.






The walk back to town worked up a sweat and an appetite, so we stopped at a seaside restaurant for mussels, meats, beer, and cider. On the way to the bus stop, I bought a handmade silver pendant by a local artist. 



My watch says I walked 10 miles, 40 flights of stairs, and lapped my exercise ring 4 times. I had better sleep the sleep of the bone-tired tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Takes my breath away...all of it. Hope you sleep well and can shake the snotty-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to explore with a purpose.Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a most excellent trip! Thanks for taking all the steps for us.

    ReplyDelete