Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Likeke Falls

The second round of judging cut another 150 paintings from the juried art show, but both of mine made it through. Reception/results on Saturday, November 2nd. Fingers crossed.

Feeling like we should do something fun with the kids, we hiked to Likeke Falls on Sunday morning. It's the "most kid-friendly falls hike on the island", so of course we missed the fork in the trail and climbed halfway up the Pali along narrow muddy cliffside trails before realizing something was wrong. While heading back to the car we ran into a mom with three toddlers coming off of the side path, and then noticed the GIANT SPRAY-PAINTED ARROW on a tree that pointed the correct way, with orange tags to follow on low branches. We are expert survivalists.

The pool at the base of the falls is just deep enough to wade in and cool off, with a big fallen log to sit on. It was really beautiful. 


Log not pictured because I was sitting on it






I'm not in any of the pictures, but that's ok because my cardiovascular system was in full clown mode; my entire face goes bright red except for big white circles around my mouth, nose, and eyes. If I'm ever being chased through a med school, I can hide by pretending to be an anatomical model.



When the next bunch of people with kids showed up we headed back to the car, got some lunch, then went to my mother's house and used up all the hot water in her shower. She made pulled beef sandwiches for family dinner and sliced up the tunnel of fudge cake I made that morning (a cake that can sit safely in a warm car for a few hours while you get lost on a hike for kindergartners).

Really good day. Needed that.


2 comments:

  1. Exciting! I hope your paintings win prizes! What a lovely pool- Good idea to get out into nature-taking the wrong path or not.(That's the sort of thing that would have happened to us-too old to bundu bash these days)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fingers are crossed for you, girl! Actually, they're crossed because of arthritis but same-same. And please know that I seriously doubt you were the first folks to get lost on that hike. Kindergartners are very smart these days, you know.

    ReplyDelete