In St. John's, Newfoundland, there is a statue of Peter Pan in Bowring Park.
I never liked the story of Peter Pan as a kid (I was a Hobbit and Narnia girl), but I loved this statue. I'd try to climb up to him and touch his feet without stepping on the rabbits and fairies. The bronze was cold, and hard to get a grip on in mittens. It has been years since I thought about the Peter Pan statue, until I turned a corner in the Wardlaw Museum in St Andrews and there he was. I was so surprised. There are a few reproductions of the original around the world, and it was just luck that I walked right up to one of them. I took a picture.
Last weekend, I pulled out the big canvas I had put aside for a Scottish landscape painting. I can do this. I can paint a landscape. I looked at all the travel photos of hillsides, rocky shorelines, city views, cathedral ruins - and then I drew the statue, instead. I TRIED, OKAY? Well, I thought about trying.
I've been painting this in pieces. Yesterday I finished his shirt, and now he's floating without his legs on. I'll give it another layer of paint after he's got all his parts.
Still no word about anything.


Speaking of floating, my life has been slightly sinking into the toilet for several days. I live in New England and the temps have been in the 90's with humidity at 80% or higher. WTF? We're just not used to dealing with such nonsense. Whatever, what I came here to say is I am completely amazed and stunned at your artwork. How the heck do you that? The light, the shadows, the contrast are beyond amazing. Fingers crossed you win the big prize...you certainly deserve it. X
ReplyDelete