Thursday, June 22, 2023

Spartantagonism

This week I learned that people who compete in Spartan races have a reputation for being assholes. I... don't know? My overall experience with the race was really positive. All kinds of people of all ages from all over the world were there, and they were really happy and supportive. There were thousands of competitors in dozens of heats, cheering each other on and helping people with injuries get to safety. If it really is an asshole convention and our race was an anomaly, I guess we will find out, because the Hawaii Spartan has been canceled this year, and it has already been paid for it, so we're looking at flying out to Seattle in September to give that one a try. (Well, the two competitive people will give it a try. I will be guarding the backpacks and eating baked potatoes again, because I like my kneecaps attached to my body.) 

I will take field notes and report if any assholery takes place. Unless it is me.

 

Countdown: 3 weeks to Scotland!

2 comments:

  1. Having never heard of a Spartan race, I had to google it. Seems like they're pretty interested in selling merch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go ahead and assume the people buying lots of Spartan merch are the assholes.

    ReplyDelete