Wednesday, May 10, 2023

We were short-staffed, slammed with delivery, and then someone gave me a dying pigeon covered in mud and shit. I cleaned it off, warmed it up, gave it a soft dry bed, and watched it die in a box under my desk. Sometimes that is how it goes. Sometimes all you can do is give someone comfort, safety, and company while they pass on. And then bury them under a bush behind a taco truck. 

I smelled like dead bird, so I changed into a spare shirt that had been in my car for a few weeks. Realized I forgot my lunch again. My boss turned on the vacuum just as the phone rang, and I forced a smile, picked it up, and yelled, "Hello! [library name], can you help me?" 

FFS.

I realized what I said, corrected myself, "Oh, dear. I mean, can I help YOU?" And then, into the awkward pause, I explained, "Someone turned on a vacuum." 

Yes, that clears things right up.


It is going to be that kind of week.


3 comments:

  1. death with dignity... for a pigeon- that is honorable and so glad you had an extra shirt...You were correct answering the phone with a plea for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hospice is a blessing, no matter the species. You did holy work.
    I talked to two people on the phone yesterday, and when I answered each call, I was in the garden, hauling huge bags of mulch and so forth and when I answered my phone I immediately started walking towards the house and in both cases, I apologized for having been in the garden as if they could see my sweaty, dirt-streaked face and ant-bit arms.
    I think Linda Sue is right- you were indeed correct in answering the phone with a plea for help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a noble thing for that unfortunate Creature, preserving it's dignity as it crossed over is never a waste.

    ReplyDelete