Thursday, March 30, 2023

Landscapes and red flags

Well, I am absolute trash at landscape painting. 

 

Trees, why are you?

But I learned some things and troweled on a lot more paint than I usually do, so that’s an improvement. Each one just needs to be better than the last. 

 Now that can sit in time-out while I paint a nice safe still life, instead.

- -

Unrelated 

I have been having a bad feeling for the past week, and I can't seem to shake it. It's creeping into my dreams, but there's nothing I can really point to and say, "aha, that's what the problem is". To distract myself, I have been cleaning up the basement studio and fixing the lighting, spraying and baiting the corners to fight the roaches that lick the oil off my paintings at night. It gets dusty down there from dirt sifting loose when people walk overhead, so a ceiling needs to go up. Then if I get a mini fridge and a fold-out couch down there, it'll be kind of like having a vacation house. A vacation house where you can hear people stomping around upstairs looking for you.


Jogging also helps, if only to move snails off the road, smell flowers, and see some good clouds.




When that doesn’t work, bake some bread.

I hope everyone is okay out there.

4 comments:

  1. well, Trump is getting spanked and that has made my day. As well as your painting, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to me that you may possibly be experiencing anxiety. Well, duh, right? But anxiety does not always have a reason behind it. That's what makes it so slippery, so persistent.
    Take care of yourself, dear artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only my bad landscapes were this good. Bake a bread always helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your practical approach to bad feelings- and I'm glad you save the snails.

    ReplyDelete