First thing in the morning, we got in the truck to search Kingman’s yard and estate sales for shelving to organize the drunk wife’s wall-high cardboard box pile.
We failed.
Kingman estate sale
“I think I am losing the battle against vice,” I said, looking at my loot. My mother took this as her opportunity to try to get me to buy a $400 gun at the swap meet. I absolutely do not need a $400 painting prop I can shoot myself with, but we hung around for a bit in the shade, drinking Gatorade and chatting with the gun guys about their homemade bullets.
“Made all of those myself. I make silver ones, too. Good for werewolves, vampires, and zombies.”
“Zombies? Would silver make a difference to a zombie? Seems like a shame to use silver when a crowbar would do the job.”
“I’m not gonna ask. Can’t hurt.”
Good thing this was empty, because I would have had three holes in me just by the time she was done messing with it
Shiny things
Went to dinner with the Mormon cousins in their house on the nice side of the tracks, where the homes have yards of designer gravel instead of dirt. We ate tacos, swapped stories, I played with the 5 and 2 year olds, and folks were on the point of getting into the pool when Drunk Wife started sobering up and whining to go home. My mother got pissed off, words were exchanged, and I spent the rest of the evening doing peacekeeping in a chair next to the pool while she stewed in the water like an angry wonton.
Yep, ready to go home.




what a world! It is its own universe down yonder~ plenty of fire arms for good reason i suppose - never know when a neighbor might get fiesty, seventy guns are never enough.
ReplyDeletehahaha "stewed like an angry wonton" That has made my day, thank you for that! So glad you went - it has been the most amusing trip I have read in the last long time.
I love that you are just experiencing all of this with such straightforwardness.
ReplyDeleteMormon cousins? I am fascinated with Mormons. I have listened to approximately 40,000 hours of Mormon Podcast. Not kidding.
Stewing in the water like an Angry Wonton just gave me a hilariously descriptive image of the Drunk Wife, I'm still laughing and realize how difficult it is to type while laughing!
ReplyDelete