Sunday, June 27, 2021

I'll be in the back room, call me when it's over

The rescued murder chicks were finally big enough to re-home, and the very next morning I heard a noise that made me throw my oatmeal bowl aside and run out onto the porch. One of the girls walked by with five freshly baked chicks. She settled into the old coop with the babies and won’t budge. I need a bigger farm.

We don’t even have a rooster

Bought a new sketchbook to travel with. Every time you hold a new sketchbook or journal, you think, This is the one. This will be the book my descendants find in an attic trunk a hundred years after my death; a meaningful documentation of a life, without eraser gouges and torn out pages and phrases like "dick owl" scribbled in the margins without context.

I'm scared to write in it. I did glue a badge that says "Anti-Anti-Braffet-Alliance-Alliance" inside the cover, though.


After a week of super stupid confrontations with people who really want to spend their free time fighting with librarians about wearing a mask for 10 minutes, a trip to the scorching desert is looking like a nice relaxing vacation. “It’s called HIPAA! I challenge you to look it up!” Lady, I have a master’s degree in looking shit up, and HIPAA doesn’t mean a fucking thing to mask policy enforcement. Want me to go grab a stack of good books for your kids and bring them out to your car? “No, I want my country back! The managers at Walmart understand, once I educate them!” Ffs. Take the free mask and go find a book about better hobbies you could have.

I’m out of here.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's a darling family. And obviously, there must be a rooster somewhere.
    I know what you mean about journals.
    I've never once fulfilled that fantasy of filling one. Instead I have about forty of them, half filled, so what?
    I am sort of in the mindset that humanity is completely doomed by stupidity. You give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hens can lay fertile eggs for a long time after being close to a rooster. They do not need a "refill" for every egg :D Congratulations on the family.
    I too love the feel of a new notebook. It never stops to enchant -- and I have several (scratch this loads) half-filled or less. I don't like "dick owl" in the margins - insulting to Owls (me and my kin) that is ;)
    The "Anti-Anti-Braffet-Alliance-Alliance" reminds me most of all of the Roadrunners and Wile E. Coyote and all those gadgets. I do not get the connotations (I'm Danish).
    But ffs wear that mask! instead of wasting our precious time discussing (I do so - wear a mask that is, not discuss - even if I could claim exemption) much easier, nicer and giving us our everyday life back faster.
    Sorry for this meandering and verbose comment. I just had an attack of scribblitis.

    ReplyDelete