Wednesday, October 31, 2018

painting Pan

Guess who is flying to the mainland next week and still hasn't done her workshop homework? That's right, I spent my day off painting the cat, instead. Will end up taking cityscape pictures on the walk from my hotel to the studio with a corner-shop waffle sandwich stuffed in my face. Last year I had all the logistics and transportation mapped out, paid for in advance, and printed out in a detailed itinerary, and this time I am kind of winging it. Does the TriMet have an app? Is my apple pay set up so I can pay for bus fare? How does Lyft even work? WHO KNOWS. I will worry about it when I'm trapped in the baggage claim, mainlining coffee and wishing I had worn a warmer coat.



This is Pan, the cat with the built-in fig leaf of modest white fur. Pan is short for Pantalaimon, but he also gets called "Pan Pan", "Pan Panny Pan Pan Pan", "Panty Liner", and "GAVIN COME GET YOUR STUPID CAT". He is the love of my teenage son's life.

I posted the little painting on instagram before heading to work, and a few hours later my painter friend plunked down next to me at the library. "Look, I've been sick for 3 weeks so maybe it's the pneumonia, but I could NOT figure out that cat. Where is it? What are these swirls? Is its head on backwards? WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?"

So I went home and painted out the carpet. Kind of badly, because it was dark in the dining room, but at least now even a person on Dayquil can tell it's a cat.


I'll give it one more sitting. And then it is right back to neglecting my packing and preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment