Tuesday, October 30, 2018

home improvement action - handmade counter tops

All of our home repair efforts have been devoted to undoing all the terrible shit Larry the Mason's offspring did to his house. The cheapest carpeting nailed to hardwood floors. Surplus, mismatched linoleum tiles glued to the bedroom floor. Bottom-of-the-line office ceiling tiles nailed to the bathroom walls as soundproofing. Hammer-shaped hole bashed in the roof, with an aluminum baking pan underneath to catch the rain. And now, in the kitchen: chipped, swollen particle board glued over a layer of old linoleum counter top. 

Before (ok, this is the right-hand counter because I forgot to take a picture of the left, but same idea):

Oh look, they even nailed together two small pieces of whatever the hell that thin stuff is 
to make it fit across
After (shiny! solid! wood!): 

 Nobody better cut any bagels on this thing OR ELSE

It took about a month of gluing, sanding, and patient layers of tung oil, but now we have lovely oak counters. On one side of the kitchen. And by comparison, the cupboards now look like absolute hell. Larry's offspring put about 8 layers of peeling paint on those drawers, slopping over and preserving generations of cockroaches and geckos and small rodents for future archaeologists to discover, so they're going to need to be stripped down and sanded; if they're even worth saving, instead of rebuilding entirely. IT NEVER ENDS. Which is fine. Renovation projects to last a lifetime.

I forgot to take any pictures of the trimming or sanding or oiling, but here are the boards being glued with fancy new clamps:

such wow

Terrible action shot, with embarrassed elderly refrigerator:

That is a fake magnetic ice dispenser stuck on the fridge, with labels like "cheese" and "hot wings"

The other side is getting oiled and ready to mount (leave it). Was I supposed to plan on the backsplashes before installing counters? Oh no.

2 comments:

  1. I want a butcher block counter. Everyone told me I was crazy because "wood swells if you put water on it!". Now I will show them your counters. Cos you not be crazee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we did a lot of research. I was more worried about knife marks than swelling, but the tung oil is like a candy coating, it creates a resin that is super waterproof, very hard, and really pretty. So far they're lovely. (Although I wanted them darker, but I won't say anything to the man about that.)

    ReplyDelete