I'm having a hard time finding opportunity to paint in the high confusion of summer break, with the kid shuttling and busy days. The family is trying to be supportive, but then plans change and the hours I had been looking forward to all week are suddenly yanked out of reach. I haven't felt this sort of repeated build-up and crashing disappointment since the last season of Battlestar Galactica.
So I took a look at my list of art goals for this year:
3. Upload Part 1 of my comic (three pages to go. Color is SO SLOW and Part 2 might have to be black & white if I ever want to finish this thing.)
4. Submit a drawing to the annual Artist's Magazine competition
Aha! A drawing! If I win, my painting workshop is paid for.
If I lose, hey, I didn't spend the summer weeping in my truck. Drawing is a thing I can do at the dining room table between cocoa requests and lego mediation.
I figure I will draw three or four pictures and then choose the best.
Drawing number 1: Mother of Chickens
The chicken (who was very patient despite being chucked at my kid over and over) landed this way in my reference shots, but as a drawing I don't think the angle of the legs worked well. Chicken legs are a lot longer than they look on a Costco rotisserie. Also, there's too much empty space at the bottom and I am too lazy to work up a background, so meeeh. Also, now that I'm looking at it as a smaller image, that foreshortening on the arms looks pretty messed up. Wtf, self. Learn to art.
I like the rest of it, though.
The submission guidelines are "shades of grey" and allows mixed media,
so I used some acrylic wash in here, too.
I'm going to keep going with this thing, and I'll scrape together some painting time this week even if I have to stay up all night mainlining coffee.


No comments:
Post a Comment