Thursday, June 02, 2016

war against pinkwashing cont.

I am still opting out of pink, unless my daughter independently chooses it (which she does, sometimes - especially if it's dessert-related), and here is reason umpty-thousand why:

We have a pom pom craft for summer reading. The kids pick a pom pom, color and cut out eyes/feet, and tape it on our race track. Over the summer they'll reach the finish line. It's cute.

Dad: "pick out a pom pom, sweetie."
Daughter looks through pile of colored pom poms.
Dad: "there's pink. You like pink."
Daughter takes a pink one. Picks up a purple one to look at. I tell her she can take any color. She slowly puts the purple one back and sticks with pink.
Dad: "You can make a girl pom pom." He fishes out pink crayons from the coloring bin and gives them to her.
Unsmiling daughter presents me with a pink pom pom with pink lips and pink eyeballs. I tell her she did a good job and she can make another one next week, any color she wants, and I help her stick it to the race track.

Went back into office and slammed face into desk.

Repeat this scenario 12 times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment