With all funds diverted to establishing the new household, I've had the satisfying/piteous job of relying on my old stash for all my knitting projects; my stash being made up of three small-ish plastic boxes stored in the pirate trunk we stole from someone's garbage. There's some good stuff in there, but only two balls of anything, so that precludes any winter-wear for myself or the boys. I stood in the thrift store holding up old sweaters, contemplating picking the seams and ripping them apart for yarn, and then huffed dejectedly because I might as well just buy the finished sweaters for the kids and save myself 3 months of knitting with someone else's pit sweat.
After a lot of waffling, I pulled out the luscious Arucania and cast on a baby sweater. The pattern is supposed to be on larger needles with worsted, but all I had was fingering, so I went with the largest size on smaller needles. Without swatching, OF COURSE.
Which is probably why it fits like a sausage casing around the middle (but, you know, loose in the arms). That shit will block out, I tell myself. Lace stretches. She's a skinny child. I DO WHAT I WANT.
I'm down to the last 5 inches of the second sleeve, and already eyeing my dwindling stash box with a bit of desperation. I'll be back to knitting fucking doilies if I can't scrape up funds for a knitpicks order. Thanks for not offering free shipping to Hawaii, KNITPICKS. You can send that shit on the boat for the same cost as land shipping, we don't mind waiting 6 weeks. We would just order more, to stagger arrivals. Think about it.


V pretty red -- good on her. She's really looking like a little girl -- I mean, as opposed to a wee bebe. I use the scientific method of knit-sizing too. My partner calls it "Laine-science." I pride myself on not learning from my mistakes. My most recent accomplishment was casting on for a cowl, not checking to make sure I didn't twist my work, and knitting about 5 inches into a moebius without fucking noticing. (Just swearing in solidarity. Shit fuckity fuck.) Oh! I see the note now re the dr update.
ReplyDeleteHa! Moebiuses are vair fashionable. I want to wear neck things, but I will be made fun of.
ReplyDeleteAm employing the new kegerator tonight. Because ugghh. Dr fuckery.