Friday, February 03, 2012

Craft Corner DEATH MATCH - repetition repetition repetition

Repetition is my bread and butter. Libraries are cathedrals of repetition. Our volume of repetition is such that we have masses of signage taped to every surface and hanging from the ceiling on twine, so we can just point and gesture with our eyebrows after our voice boxes have burnt out.

We project warmth and availability with our grace and charm. 
Except when we don't, because a hobo has just rested his balls on our desk.



Most-asked question: Where is the bathroom?
Answer: Down the hall. That hall right there. There is only one hall, go down it right over there. THERE you go, good luck.



Second most frequent question: I don't have my library card.
Answer: that is not a question. Also: no.



Third most frequent question: Can I plug this in? 
Answer: Sure, if you are using it. You just can't recharge things.
Question: but I don't want to use it, I just want to charge it.
Answer: What did I just say?



The books. The books never end. You check them out, beep, and check them in, beep. Which is kind of relaxing, and you can hum little songs about Pablo Neruda's vagina poetry and Paul Theroux's cannibalism. Beep. Angel-mermaid erotica. Beep. Quilting vampire slayers. Beep. Spacecraft zombie-virus outbreaks. Beep. Immortal-albino-detective murder mystery. Beep.*


"Can I charge my car battery... in the bathroom?"

Repetition is fun. You can hone your diplomatic wit when people ask what you thought of The Hangover 2, and devise different ways to gently warn people that you have wasp spray behind the desk, and know which creeps are sneaking into the bathroom to steal the used sanitary napkins so you can set traps for them. Repetition makes my day worth tarting up for.

See what repetition is repeating itself for Yermits, Robotaday, and Sarah Apple over at our NEW SUPER FANCY ACTUAL WEBSITE - Craft Corner Death Match dot com!


*All of these are real books. GET TO A LIBRARY. Just don't eat soup off the dictionary or pee in the potted plants or try to check out with your Supercuts punch card.**

**Also all real things. GET TO A LIBRARY AND SEE WEIRD THINGS.

3 comments:

  1. yay for libraries and uber talented librarians.

    I had the same reaction when I saw your sweatered being - look - it's Holly - no - it's a librarian.

    Well played!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this all so much, except for that little bit of trivia about the used sanitary napkins. Oh lawwws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bewaaaare hobos wearing fanny packs.

    ReplyDelete