Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Craft Corner DEATH MATCH - kid designed

The challenge: let your kid design something. Then make it for them.

Gavin's first idea was "army of kittens". On a quilt. No, on a t-shirt. No, a pillow. And not kittens, instead we should do "Death of cats," to go with the Death of rats in the Hogfather. With "MEOW", in ALL CAPS. Because that is how Death talks. MEOW. 

So that is what I made.


I finally used my freemotion quilting foot, which I got for Christmas three years ago. It was a first attempt and I completely suck at it, but hot damn is it fun to use. Like driving a machine gun.

The pillow was a hit. For about 20 minutes, they rolled around on the floor, dragged out one of my quilts, and pretended to put themselves to bed - until someone got an elbow to the face and someone pulled out a foam sword and in the resulting brawl I threatened to hang them both by the ceiling fan and beat them with a stick.

The key to successful parenting: follow-through.

Or video games. Whatever, I made a pillow.

2 comments: