Wednesday, May 11, 2011

burning love

The man likes to order mystery packages from the Something Store. The premise is that you pay $10, and you receive a parcel that may contain anything from a laptop to a deck of cards. The boy and I refer to it as the "something disappointing store", as we have so far opened them up to find luggage tags, a pet brush, and a eye-bleedingly hideous tie. Nevertheless, it is the man's form of gambling, and about two weeks ago he succumbed to the lure of chance again.
At the same time, I was starting to knit the man-sweater. Between sketching out the design and carefully choosing the wool, I got it into my head that the item itself would become a magical love totem - that stitch by stitch, I would bind myself to the man and graft shut the injury to my heart. Since I was a kid, I have suffered from bookish mysticism. I still feel in the backs of wardrobes for snow from time to time.

An idea formed itself in my head as I sat counting stitches and conjuring magic - I needed to burn the boyfriend boxes. As a librarian, the idea of disturbing provenance is bad enough; destroying written material is kind of horrifying. This weekend the man climbed up into the attic space and tossed down the shoe boxes from the trunk in which they were hidden, careful not to look into them. I caught them from the air and did not open them, either. These are love notes I will never again read; the girl in the letters is no longer me. I need to move on, and maybe protect the dignity of the boys who, I think, loved me. The idea of setting fire to them panicked me a bit, so I tucked the boxes under the bed, instead.

Yesterday, the envelope from the Something Store arrived. The boy tore it open, then sagged in disappointment. "Dad, you need to stop ordering things from there. Don't they have a box to check if you're buying something for a kid?" He handed it to the man, who said, "Oh, well," and handed it to me.

It was a lighter.

7 comments:

  1. It has become the "Something Disappointing Store" yes, but to be fair, it did give us an expensive (though horrifyingly ugly) tie, cat brushes that we still use, and a wonderful lighter fot lighting things ablaze. Still, maybe I should stop sending them $10 (not $15).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cost corrected. :P

    What happened to that tie? Did the girlie take it back to New York and horrify her father? We should tell him he needs to wear it when we visit or it will hurt our feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...are the boxes and their contents still with us? I ask because I am so loathe to part with my own boxes.

    (Heh. Boxes.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're still sitting like beating hearts under the bed. Destroying horcruxes is tough shit. I will photograph when I work up the nerve. And set my pants on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O_o

    All the comments vanished! I did not do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wha-huh! Universe is sending you interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am being careful not to wish for things. Anything I request may turn into a pile of police reports if misinterpreted.

    ReplyDelete