Thursday, May 31, 2007

not snow white

After a slow morning watching Marc perform air reference in front of the dead computer while I folded endless piles of reading logs, the day began to pick up with the first non-catalog-related reference question: "Do you know there's a bird upstairs?" A bird! We went running upstairs. Marc chased it with a cardboard box while I stretched my finger out like Snow White. Someone had turned on one of the industrial fans because of the broken a/c, and I had horrible visions of chasing the bird into it with a WHAP! of feathers. After running back and forth a dozen times with the box and the finger, we came to terms with our failure as hunters and just opened the doors. I think we may be the reason humans are omnivores.

After work, my skinny neighbor college boy and Marc lugged a used computer desk up to my apartment. Just like Gavin goes through every one of his toys when he meets someone new, I showed them around the apartment, pointing out all my books, pictures, and shiny objects. This is probably why people have housewarming parties, to get it all out of your system.

And so I finally have a full set of grownup furniture. Someone asked me the other day if Bakersfield was going to be a long-term thing, and for the first time in my life I shrugged and said, "Who knows? Got nowhere to go and nothing to do." Just waiting for something Extraordinary, and if it never finds me - well, at least I had it once anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment