Friday, June 09, 2006

ugh

6:00am. Threw workout clothes in car, hopped in. Turned key. Flashy yellow engine light. Opened hood (now expert at opening hood, no longer fumbling idiot), discovered that I forgot to screw the cap back on the yellow bubble thing that holds the coolant. Poured dregs of pre-mixed antifreeze in bubble, not even making it up to the minimum line. Confessed mistake to Mike, who directed me to drive straight to the convenience store and buy more coolant before going to work, being sure not to overfill it as it will be hot and bubbly or something. Drove to nearest gas station, which had no coolant. Drove to 7-11, sulked over lack of pre-mixed coolant, stood in line with gallon of anti-freeze and a Diet Coke, getting nods from men who thought I was a girl who could handle car things. Had them snowed. Went back to car, partly filled empty coolant jug with water, poured in coolant with skill of trained chemist. Shake shake shake, into little yellow bubble thing, presto! Screwed top back on. Am car-savvy woman of the world. I hate cars.

Almost didn't have time for morning workout. Hopped on cross-ramp beside embarrassed-looking man (why are cross-ramps considered chick machines and treadmills not? Both move legs without getting anywhere), then covered machines quickly, pleased to be able to hike the bench press up another 10 pounds. Not yet pressing body weight, but close. Watched the other working women put on makeup while I pulled on my jeans and tank top, decided to go to work au-natural, since nobody would see me clearly anyway, for reasons to follow.

Drove to dark, powerless school. Electricians at work digging up cables, searching for fried mongoose to blame for crisis-level power blowout. Teachers entered dark library all day, asking, "What do you have in the way of pirate books?" "Where are all the Magic Schoolbus books?" and other questions while I pretended to type queries into my dead computer. Rummaged through shelves by memory and wrote down barcodes on xerox paper with nubby pencil, very high-tech and resourceful back-up circulation method. Ate a lot of fruit. Doodled a bit.

Friday night! No work on Monday! Am preparing to set table for dinner and go see Cars movie with anxious toddler. Feel like baking, but must not. Have gained a pound so far this week, but have shrunk. Hoping this means muscles.

Friday!!

3 comments:

  1. Lately you seem to be channeling Bridget Jones in your "diaries"... Am I sensing correctly? Or is this inadvertent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bingo, I usually end up writing like whatever I'm reading at the time (I'm one of those people who make faces and cry while they read). Gawd it was depressing blogging when I was reading a lot of Stephen King. The bad thing about reading Bridget Jones is that I could relate waaay too much, which is not good because you know the writer is making a joke out of her. sigh.

    I'm reading the Da Vinci Code right now (ahem) but I just don't think I have the patience explain everything 3 times in 6th grade vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I'm good! hehe!

    And so are you for picking up on & imitating writing style! I couldn't sense your Stephen King-period (or perhaps I just thought you were being hella dark), but I could definitely sense Bridget Jones! :-) You must re-read the B. Jones series often... Aren't there only, like, 2 or 3 of them? 'Haven't read Da Vinci Code yet - Too much hype for me to swallow; i'm already sick of it.

    ReplyDelete