Thursday, May 25, 2006

Spirit week

End of the year in a school library means mountains of books getting dumped at the library. Sometimes not just books, but calculators, spellers, digital equipment, teaching materials, and other miscellaneous items. During our staff party, the principal had an aside with me and said he thought it would be good for me to work on my next book so the kids could see the process. So I took a break from the book pile after a few hours of endless shelving and gathered up the materials for my dummy book. Once I had figured out how to rig it together without staples, I sat with my twine-bound book and taped the text in on all the pages, then started filling it in with rough gestures and action lines. With my handy-dandy camera propped on my desk, I jumped and crouched and pretended to pull invisible nets until I had enough reference to work with loosely. It's coming along, I can feel it. This one has promise.

The family is going to the water park today to celebrate my cousin's 4th birthday, while I am sitting at my desk in my yoga pants. This is Spirit Week, and I had been scroogishly ignoring the dress-up themes until today - Sports Day - when I decided to take advantage of the excuse to wear my Starbuck shirt ("Are you at least going to wear your yoga jacket over it?" No, mom). I was sure I would show up and be the only person in sportswear, but I am just one of many fools on this fine Thursday morning.

I'd still rather be at the water park. 

In other news, I am no longer carrotwoman. (I may have to do that again, just for fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment