Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend

I have already crushed my new bug-eyed sunglasses. I wore them anyway while I watched the school talent show, scooting away from the sun in the shade of the building as I sat on the steps with the office staff. The kids sang, smashed, and tumbled through the morning. One of the boys came out with a can of kerosene and a lighter, pulled off his shirt, and lit a double-ended torch for a fire spinning routine. Fan-freakin-tastic. His mother hung to one side with a wet towel, but he did not light his shorts on fire. "A huuuuuge improvement from last year!" the teachers said as they clapped wildly.
 

I really like these kids. From the older girls who hijacked the sound system to play Black Sabbath and Nirvana to the little guys who ran up and sang the "Llama" song ("did you ever see a llama kiss a llama on the llama llama's llama tastes of llama llama llama DUCK!"). They're cool.

Party
Memorial Day Weekend was a lot of beach, shopping, ice cream, zoo, sunscreen, movies, popcorn, and barbecue. Yesterday I cheated and bought bbq chicken plate lunches at Sam's Club instead of digging out the propane tank. On Saturday, tourists laughed at me for pretending to drag an enormous imaginary fish across the beach for illustration reference. Gavin and I napped in the car in the parking garage at Ala Moana, lips stained from shave ice after petting all the goats at the keiki zoo. Mike and I watched mindless action flicks. Leggy Redhead surprised me in the bathroom of the Spaghetti Factory while I was helping Gavin use the toilet. What a weekend.
 

1 month 4 weeks until vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment