My cap and gown arrived at the door last night. I pulled out the packages, enjoying the crisp newness of the black gown, the plush yellow velvet of the Master's hood. "Please do not decorate your cap in a manner that obstructs the view of the people behind you," read the instructions. I imagined all the towering literary sculptures I could perch on my head, wondering how easy it would be to spell out "smart, lol" in masking tape. My mother fretted for a moment about missing my graduation in favor of a date with her long-time motorcycle-riding steady-gazed smart-ass crush, but I assured her that Mike would take lots of pictures.
I turned in my employment papers yesterday. I am a hired woman. To prepare, I have been digging up research articles about librarianship and dyslexia, and looking into library organizations for resources and support. These are my formative years, the time that I will become very good at something very specific. If I had been hired for the systems position, I would be getting into library technology and beefing up my knowledge there. With this job, I hope I'll become very good at running a small library, at enriching the lives of the kids I'll get to know every day, and using the experience to make great children's books. Maybe I'll end up specializing in books for children with reading disabilities and make some kind of difference.
And here I thought I had missed out on my banner-carrying years! I've got that mid-twenties optimism and inspiration. Hope I use it right.
No comments:
Post a Comment