Yes, the Spirit is on the rampage the week before Christmas. It is evident in the fingers flipped in parking lots, the shoving in long shopping lines, the screaming of exhausted children, the angry honking of traffic. My mother and I, possessed by the Spirit, paused to yell helpfully at a group of loitering surfers, "Hey! We can smell your pakalolo from around the corner! Be careful!"
Safely back home, we drowned out the shrieks of the neighborhood children with our Peter, Paul and Mary holiday album, put on the kettle for cider, and ate stinky cheese with okole bread for dinner. The holiday lights are on, my mother and aunt are sipping chai and eating freshly made chocolate mice while the boys play around in the presents under the tree. My mother said the Christmas organ music on the stereo sounded like funeral music, which got them talking about Tchaikovsky. My aunt and cousin have been visiting more often to enjoy some holiday atmosphere as their house undergoes drastic remodeling.
Gavin rode the kiddie train at Pearlridge today, sitting with his hands clasped on his lap, glowering seriously at the forest of Christmas baubles. I like how serious he is, I was the same way as a kid. Gavin hopped right off the train at the end and got back in line to do it again. He gave a little sigh as we led him away for lunch, but did not fuss. Love him.
Librarian news
I have a key. On Monday, I got into my new library for the first time, spending hours exploring the shelves, the circulation system, the budget reports, and the class schedules. I left at the end of the day feeling inspired and intimidated, making mental lists of books to buy and displays to arrange, worrying about organizing budget reports and coordinating book fairs. But, like everything, it will be one day at a time. I will not mess things up every day, and I have many librarians, organizations, and teachers to consult for advice. I just hope they don't mind a lot of questions while I get settled in. I have pulled out my favorite text books, highlighting authors and titles in my children's and YA lit books to check against the collection and noting program suggestions. It feel like I might love this job.
No comments:
Post a Comment