The peace of our neighborhood was rattled by the homecoming of our military neighbors. You Fucker (the only name for him that gets screamed out their window) and the Bland Guy were out washing their cars after a welcome-home squabble with the live-in girlfriend/roommate, the Shrieker. Pretending to check the mail, I went out to eavesdrop. I ignored them and they ignored me as we all side-eyed each other. You Fucker went inside and got his digicam, then surveyed the mountains and the parking lot with it while narrating to his unseen audience, "And there he is washing the car..." I herded Gavin off the road and looked over to see You Fucker pointing his camera at me. He looked at his camera, I looked in the lens - a standoff on opposite sides of a viewfinder - then he turned casually and went back inside without indicating that he had noticed me. Hmm.
I wonder where Mike is from minute to minute. Driving? Sleeping? Eating? I tossed all night despite a dose of Tylenol PM, my dreams were unsettling. I finally got out of bed at 6am and stood in front of the bathroom mirror in my underwear. My eyes are usually a bit puffy in the mornings, giving me a more innocent look. This morning they were just fat from crying in my sleep. I sang quietly to myself as I scrubbed my face, my voice a growl because of the illness grating my throat. I quietly got dressed, went downstairs, and ate cheerios in front of the computer as I plugged in my diet for the day. Saturdays are long and hungry. Today I am weak and trembly from my chest cold, so my mother dropped me off at work although she didn't need to. I feel disorganized and uneasy, but basically okay. The week to come is a rough one. I have also been booked for another figure modeling gig, the Friday after next. Much of my nervousness over the last session was due to the fact that I was emerging from the woodwork; now the calls won't stop until I move again. Artists are desperate for reliable warm bodies; at least I'll have cash for Christmas presents this year.
I'd like a nap. 8 more days until Mike comes home.
No comments:
Post a Comment