My mother dropped me off at work and drove away with Gavin. I sat in front of the library and ate my sandwich, waiting for Yuri to open the doors for me. I read the weekly paper. I waited. Finally, I got up to examine the summer hours and discovered that the library is closed this weekend! After banging my head against the glass doors a few times, I ran across the street to see if my mother had stopped for lunch at the cafe. She had not. I headed for the campus bookstore, wondering what I should do with a whole day to myself. I was dressed for air conditioning, and the afternoon was steamy and hot, so I picked up a discount University of Hawaii tee shirt and a notebook, then called Mike to rescue me.
I made myself comfortable on the comfy couch at the cafe and pulled out my notebook, sucking on a large iced chai. I had almost an hour to unwind and enjoy time alone, listening to classic rock on the radio and watching the students drinking their coffees. I bought Mike a brownie when he arrived, and spent the rest of the afternoon at home painting the bathroom.
My mother has not returned home, as she had promised she would. She gets caught up with shopping and spends the whole day out instead of coming home and letting Mike see Gavin before he goes to work. It looks like I might have to drive Mike to work and then meet my mother at the university (since I can't get hold of her, and I know that's where she will go at the end of my usual work shift), then have her follow me back to Aikahi and drop the car off for Mike. That is a lot of driving. If that's the case, I'm going to insist we eat dinner on the town to make up for the inconvenience that today has been for everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment