Monday, August 30, 2004

If anything can go wrong

...it will. 


The First Week of School
The first week of school filled me with excitement, emptied my wallet, and loaded me with homework. I attacked my assigned reading, jumped on my cataloging work, launched into my first essay, and my iMac up and died. Obviously unimpressed by my enthusiasm. Poot. My screams had no effect on it.

And so, four days later, after re-installations, software updates, battery changes, head-banging, and disk doctoring, it woke back up and now only has OS 9. I finished my essay in TextEdit. Very sad.

To make matters worse, I can only log in to the library system to do my cataloging homework with a valid UH library account, which I will not have until my loans come through and I can prove to the Student ID people that I've paid up. My teacher has excused me, though I will be stalking through the library today until I find someone I recognize and force them to log on for me. Maybe I'll even find Tim, cornered in the construction wing with nowhere to run. I still think I can get him to play bass for Mike.

Toddlers
Gavin has been enjoying his extra time with his dad. Mike managed to get him into bed last Thursday, where he cried himself to sleep without the comfort of a warm boob. I'm glad that the two can manage without me, so that I may stay late some nights to do research at the library. It makes me think of the time Chris came over at bedtime while Beth and my mother went to a movie... long story short, I was relieved to come home and find that Gavin was not screaming and vomiting all over Mike.

Beth has been coming to visit more often. She's lonely, we think. Chris has started to behave more acceptably, although it is a constant battle to show him how to do it. Gavin has started testing his limits as well, and while it's mostly harmless things (how loudly can I chirp after mom says "keep it down"? etc), he's been throwing things a lot, and sometimes ignoring me when I say "no". Too bad for him, I'm bigger than he is, and after being ignored once I can bodily remove him or whatever it is he is playing with. He's a pretty easy kid, though.

Gavin has also developed an obsession with Snow White, and can point out every dwarf by name. He organizes his dolls into lines and marches them to "Hi Ho" (he sings it without the "hi", but he has the idea). Other recent developments include new words: heart, draw, and treat; as well as the use of the word "rock" to describe a mountain.

On the Personal Side
I've lost 7 lbs so far. Already I feel a difference in my appearance, and the way my clothes fit. Mike has been poking me in the ribs, since he can see them now. I'm officially the same weight I was before I gave birth, but I plan to lose another 13 pounds for an even 20 by Christmas.


Right, then, enough from me. There are computer problems to diagnose.

No comments:

Post a Comment