And it’s a snow day. I got up when the plow went by at 5:30am and got dressed anyway, throwing back a few cups of tea and checking the campus page every half hour for closure updates, antsy to see my new library for the first time. When they changed the status from “closed for the morning, update at 11am” to “closed for the day”, I threw my phone down, made banana bread, sketched layouts for a picture book, and went outside to shovel the stairs. I managed to coax Zenny outside just long enough for her to stomp fresh tracks down the pathway, say “wow”, and then run back inside to get under the electric blanket. It’s going to be an adjustment.
The sun came out and the snow stopped in late afternoon, and I forced the girl into the car to go check the mail and buy butter, because someone used the last stick for banana bread. I let the car warm up for about 10 minutes while brushing snow off the windows and roof, and learned that 10 minutes is not enough time to thaw power steering fluid. That is a good lesson to learn now, before I’m late for my first day of work or hulk-steering the car down the highway. Today we were only going down the road, though. There was no mail. There was butter. Poultry is scarce out here, but we found two skinny chicken breasts for soup and Zenny finally perked up when I let her detour us through the KFC drive through on the way home. Fresh chicken may be hard to come by, but fast food chicken sandwiches are in abundance. This must be their natural habitat. The power steering finally got its shit together and we zipped back home.
I’m really happy, but I’m ready to go meet my coworkers and make some friends. WHETHER THEY LIKE IT OR NOT.










I would NEVER adjust to weather like that. Just forget it. I'm sure Zenny will. She's young.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited for you to get to your new job and see what's up.
This is beautiful! You are beautiful!
ReplyDelete